1. During diffusion, when the concentration of molecules on both sides of a membrane is the same, the molecules will continue to move across the membrane in both directions.
2. An animal cell that is surrounded by fresh water will burst because the osmotic pressure causes water to move into the cell.
3. The statement “During active transport, a material may be moved from an area of low concentration to an area of high concentration” is true.
Diffusion is the process of movement of molecules from a high concentration to low concentration under influence of concentration gradient. The process is not energy driven as it does not directly involve the involvement of molecules such as ATP and GTP.
In biological systems the process of diffusion is a very dynamic process it happens at every instance of time. Every cell for it to function properly has to undergo diffusion that involves movement of chemical components across the cell wall. If there is a situation in which the concentration on both the side of the membrane is identical the molecules will keep on moving across the membrane without changing the concentration.
Osmosis is the process of movement of molecules across the semi-permeable membrane from area of high concentration to area of low concentration. An animal cell has high concentration of salts and other components while fresh water is free from it. When such a cell is introduced in fresh water, the water gushes into the cell. This gushing in excess results in the bursting of the cell.
A cell can undergo two types of transport one being active and other passive. Active transport is the phenomenon wherein a molecule is transported against the concentration gradient. This transport requires energy that is ATP. While on the other hand passive transport is a phenomenon which involves movement of solute with the concentration gradient thus they do not require energy molecules.
1. Learn more about long term energy storage brainly.com/question/523624
2. Learn more about the reason of phospholipids to form lipid bilayer in water brainly.com/question/751529
3. Learn more about effects of alcohol on brain brainly.com/question/2034996
Grade: High School
Chapter: Cells and osmosis
Diffusion, osmosis, active transport, passive transport, concentration gradient, ATP, GTP, semi-permeable membrane, high concentration, low concentration, animal cell, osmotic pressure.